Select the Miscellaneous tab from the Configuration Window to control these options:
- Automatically show the Open Archive dialog box - Whether WinZip should automatically show the Open Archive window when you start WinZip.
Show Add window when dropping files on:
- An archive in Explorer - Controls whether or not a window is displayed when you drop files on an archive in Explorer. If checked, WinZip displays the Add window, which allows you to specify various options to be used during the archiving process. If not checked, the files are simply added to the archive and no window is displayed.
- An open WinZip window - Controls whether or not a window is displayed when you drop files from Explorer on a WinZip window. If checked, WinZip displays an Add window, which allows you to specify various options to be used during the archiving process. If not checked, the files are simply added to the open archive and no window is displayed. Note: if no archive is open, WinZip must display the window even if this checkbox is not checked because you will need to use it to specify an archive name.
Check for Updates
- Check automatically every - Specifies that you want WinZip to automatically check for the availability of a new final or service release of WinZip. Use the combo box to specify how frequently you want WinZip to check; for example, choose "week" if you'd like WinZip to automatically check for an update once a week. After the time period has passed, WinZip will check to see if an update is available and notify you.
- Ask before checking, once a week - Approximately every week, WinZip will ask if you would like to check for the availability of an update.
- Do not check for updates - WinZip will not check for updates automatically or ask if you would like to do so. You can always check for updates manually by choosing Check for Update from the Help menu, by clicking Check for Update from the WinZip About box, or by returning to the Configuration window and clicking Check for Update Now.
- Check for Update Now - Click this button to have WinZip check for the availability of an update now. WinZip will check for an update and display a notification window telling you whether or not one is available.
Note: WinZip does not transmit any personally identifiable information during the Check for Update process. For further information, please see the WinZip web site.
Program to create self-extracting Zip files (Make Exe) - Sets the program that is used to create self-extracting (EXE) files from Zip files. By default, WinZip Self-Extractor Personal Edition, which is included with WinZip, is specified. You can choose to use the full WinZip Self-Extractor if you have it installed.
- Windows Explorer-style Extract dialog box - This feature determines whether the Extract window contains a tree view control or the Windows 3.1 style folder control.
- TAR file smart CR/LF conversion - When selected, this option determines if "smart" CR/LF conversion should be performed when extracting from TAR files. CR/LF is short for Carriage Return/Line Feed, the standard end of line indicator. This option can be useful when a TAR file contains text files created on a Unix or Macintosh machine. Unix text files usually contain lines ending in Line Feed characters only, and Macintosh text files usually contain lines ending in a Carriage Return character. The standard Windows Notepad program and many other Windows programs require a Carriage Return and Line Feed at the end of each line. When the TAR File smart CR/LF conversion option is in effect, WinZip determines whether to perform CR/LF conversion file inside a TAR file by looking at the first 80 characters in each file. If the file is a text file then single LF and CR characters are converted to CR/LF pairs so the file can be viewed by Notepad and other Windows viewers. Files are considered text when the first 80 bytes contain only characters with ASCII values between 0x20 and 0x7f, carriage returns, line feeds, form feeds, tabs, and other alphanumeric characters (as determined by the Windows IsCharAlphaNumeric API).
- Beep after long archive operations - WinZip will beep after archive operations that take more than one second to complete when this option is chosen.
- Use Recycle Bin for move operations - When checked, if you select the Move (and replace) files action in the Add window, WinZip will put files in the Recycle Bin instead of deleting them.
- Prompt when View button is pushed - Unchecking this option will bypass the View window.
- Desktop theme/screen saver installer - When checked, the Desktop Theme Installer and the Screen Saver Installer are enabled. When unchecked, WinZip treats Zip files containing desktop themes or screen savers as normal Zip files.
- Show comments when opening Zip files - When checked, WinZip will automatically display the Zip comment when you open a Zip file that contains a comment.
- Display status dialog for long operations - When checked, WinZip displays an animated progress window during lengthy archive operations. The window allows you to minimize WinZip while the operation is in progress or to cancel the operation.
- Prompt before running WinZip jobs - When checked, WinZip will display a message window warning the user that jobs should be run only from a trusted source.
- Create new Zip files using best compression (.zipx) - When checked, WinZip will use Best method compression as the default selection when creating Zip files.
- Store extended time stamps in Zip files - When checked, WinZip will store and restore more accurate NTFS extended time stamps.
- Store Unicode filenames in Zip files - When checked, WinZip will store both the standard filename character format and, if necessary, the filename in Unicode format. Filenames are stored in Unicode format when they contain characters not contained in the ASCII character set. WinZip displays and extracts Unicode file names when they exist, making the contents of your Zip files more portable when shared in a global environment.
- Collect and report statistics - When checked, WinZip will collect statistics of which features of WinZip are being used. No personally identifiable data will be collected.
- Number of files in recent file list - Sets the number of files that appear in the list of recently used files in the File menu. You can set this to any number from 1 to 9.
- Restore all caution messages - Click this button to restore all caution windows that you have turned off (a caution window is "turned off" by checking its Do not display this dialog in the future checkbox).