|This article is being maintained as archived information. WinZip Courier is the successor to WinZip E-Mail Companion. WinZip E-Mail Companion can still be downloaded and much of what it will do is explained in its help file.
WinZip E-Mail Companion Requirements
- Operating Systems: Windows 7 (see below), Windows Vista, Windows XP, or Windows 2000
- Supported E-Mail Programs: Microsoft Outlook 2007, Outlook 2003, Outlook 2002, Windows Mail 6.0*, or Outlook Express 6.0
- Optional Supported Programs: Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint, or Microsoft Excel (versions 2007, 2003, or 2002)
Note: WinZip E-Mail Companion 2.0 was released years prior to the release of Outlook 2010, it is not specifically supported, and so it is not mentioned in these lists. WinZip E-Mail Companion will install and work with 32-bit versions of Outlook 2010. See
WinZip E-Mail Companion with Outlook 2010 for more information.
These requirements only apply to the computer system where WinZip E-Mail Companion is installed. Recipients of your e-mail messages do not need E-Mail Companion and can use any e-mail program to read your messages. To open and extract from the Zip files you send, your recipient will need a Zip file utility such as WinZip or WinZip Pro.
*Note: Windows Live Mail is not Windows Mail. Windows Mail is available in Windows Vista, usually provided with the operating system. Windows Live Mail is a separate and different application.
WinZip E-Mail Companion Limitations
- Only fully supported components will install. For example, if you have Outlook Express but not Outlook, setup will install only the Outlook Express/Windows Mail component. If you install Outlook later, you will need to reinstall E-Mail Companion.
- Windows Mail and Outlook Express are not supported under 64-bit versions of Windows
- The 64-bit version Outlook 2010 is not supported
- Windows 7 does not include Windows Mail. In order to use WinZip E-Mail Companion with Windows 7, a compatible version of Microsoft Outlook must be installed.
- Windows Live Mail is not a supported application; WinZip E-Mail Companion does not work with Windows Live Mail
- When using Windows Mail and Outlook Express, WinZip E-Mail Companion cannot automatically compress attachments in e-mail messages that you forward due to Windows Mail/Outlook Express restrictions
- The Office component of WinZip E-Mail Companion will not work with Office 2010 (Word, Excel, and Powerpoint)
If you have any questions about this information, please e-mail Technical Support.