Note: This article does not include information concerning the email feature in WinZip Jobs.
WinZip delivers features that make it possible for you to compress and email files and folders. While WinZip's various email options are easy to use, underlying issues may interfere. Brief descriptions of the email features will be provided prior to discussing possible causes for issues. These features are:
- Zip and E-mail: Right click files or folders and click this WinZip option to quickly attach a Zip file to a new email message. If any of the files are photos, you will also be given the option to resize them, which can significantly reduce transmission time.
- Zip and E-mail Plus: This works like Zip and E-Mail but also allows you to specify the name of the Zip file and to add encryption if desired.
- My Zip: If you have a Zip file open in the WinZip ribbon interface, you can click this button on the Share tab (if you are using Legacy menus/toolbar, choose Send ToMail Recipient (ZipSend) on the File menu). If you use My Zip, a copy of the entire Zip file will be attached to a new email message. If any files or folders are selected, you right click in the highlighted area, and you choose Send Selected Files ToMail Recipient (ZipSend), WinZip will offer you the option to send only the selected files or the entire Zip file.
Use with a MAPI email program
If you use an email program such as Microsoft Outlook, Thunderbird, or Windows Live Mail as your default email program and if WinZip is configured appropriately, WinZip's email support will use your email program. WinZip uses a protocol for this named MAPI (Mail Applications Program Interface), specifically Simple MAPI. MAPI is a standard Windows interface that allows WinZip and other programs to instruct your
email program to create a new message and attach a file to it.
Generally, you would only need to have your email program set as the default and have an email account configured, to have simple MAPI working. It is not uncommon for an email program to let you know that it is not set as the default when you open it. Usually, this information dialog will also make it possible for you to set this email program as the default.
With Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista you can also use the Default Programs applet to reset your default email program. To do this:
- Open Default Programs:
Windows 7 or Windows Vista:
- Open to or change to the Start menu screen
- Begin typing: default
- When Default Programs displays in results, click it
- Click Start
- Click Default Programs on the right side of the Start menu
- Click the link that reads Set your default programs
- Click your email program in the list of Programs
- At the bottom right, click the area that says Set this program as default
- Click OK and close Default Programs
With Windows XP it may be easier to use the Internet Options applet. To do this:
- Click Start and open the Control Panel
- Open Internet Options and click the Programs tab
- Click the drop arrow to the right of E-mail
- Click your email program in the list
- Click OK
Use with WinZip's built-in email program
If you do not have a MAPI compatible email application, WinZip will use its own built-in email program. In this case, it would be possible that WinZip's email features will work, while the Send ToMail Recipient feature used by Windows and other programs may not work.
You will need to define an email account in the E-Mail tab of the WinZip Options dialog before you use WinZip's built-in email program. Otherwise, you will be prompted automatically when you first try to use one of WinZip's email features (see the picture below).
If you are not successful or if you need assistance, please send an email message to Technical Support.
Does the person receiving my message need WinZip Courier or WinZip?
How do I compress and email files using WinZip and my email program?
Some technical information about WinZip MAPI (mail) support
My email provider does not allow Zip files as attachments. What can I do?
How to use the E-mail tab in WinZip Options
Can any email service be used when configuring a WinZip Job to email results?