|To create a split Zip file immediately with WinZip, rather than from an existing Zip file, you must do so with a WinZip Backup (Job file). A Pro registration is required to create WinZip backup jobs.
To create a split Zip file, you would need to:
- Create a new Zip file or open an existing one in WinZip and:
WinZip default interface
- Click the Settings tab to configure your Split size (if necessary)
- Click the Tools tab and click Multi-Part Zip File
- Click the Actions menu
- Choose Split
- Specify the size to be used for the individual parts
- Type the name for your split Zip file and choose a target folder
Note: The name must be different from the name of the open Zip file.
- Click OK to create the Split Zip file.
Depending on the number of segments, the result is a sequence of files named filename.z01, filename.z02, and so on, ending with filename.zip. The naming convention for split Zipx files is filename.zx01, and so on, ending with filename.zipx. We recommend that the recipient of these files use the current version of WinZip to open and extract the contents of the split file, although WinZip 9.0 or later can be used if newer, advanced compression methods are not involved.
Note: WinZip Express for Explorer cannot be used to create split Zip files.
You can choose from common split sizes on the drop down menu or you can specify your own size. To specify your own size:
- Choose Custom size in the Split drop down menu (Settings tab)
- Click the spinner arrow to adjust the Custom Size (MB) setting
- Or click in the Custom Size (MB) text box and type a size (in megabytes) with one decimal place
XP users should choose Other size in the drop down menu in the Split dialog.
If you have any questions about this information, please email Technical Support.
Split Zip Files
Quick examples of how to zip files with WinZip