|This article is being maintained as archived information. There have been no recent reports of this error.
This error occurs when the CommonStartup string value in the registry has for some reason become empty. To fix this, please try the following:
- On the keyboard, press (the Windows key)+R to open Run
- In the Run dialog type: regedit and click OK, which will open the Registry Editor
- Click Yes in the User Account Control dialog (if necessary)
- Browse to and expand:
- Double click on Common Startup*
- Copy and paste the following into Edit String:
- Click OK
- Close the Registry Editor
*Note: If you do not find Common Startup in this key at all, please do the following before continuing with number 5 above:
- Right click in the right pane of the Registry Editor and choose NewString Value
- Name this string value Common Startup (note that there is a space between the words)
Return to #5 above at this point
Try installing WinZip again. If this is not helpful, please email Technical Support.