Multiple Disk Spanning
Note: This function is largely obsolete. Disk spanning is only supported in the Job Wizard.
WinZip® makes it easy to create Zip files (.zip or .zipx) that "span" multiple disks. This is useful if your files will not fit on one disk.
Creating spanned Zip files
To make a Zip file that spans multiple disks, simply create a new Zip file on a removable disk, then add files to the Zip as you normally would. If the disk fills during an Add operation, you will be prompted for another disk. Simply insert the next disk and click the OK button.
Important: disk spanning is not available when adding files to an existing archive; it is only available while creating a new archive. Also note that you cannot add files to or remove files from a Zip file that spans disks.
WinZip requires pre-formatted disks (you can format disks using My Computer or Windows Explorer).
To zip the files in your c:\data folder to a Zip file called A:\DATA.ZIPX:
- Start WinZip.
- Drag and drop the c:\data folder from My Computer or Windows Explorer to the WinZip window.
- In the Add dialog box, type the filename of the Zip file A:\DATA.ZIPX in the Add to archive field.
- In the Compression section of the Add dialog box, click on the radio button for .Zipx: Best method (smallest size) to set the compression type if it is not already set.
- Make sure that the Span disks field is set to Automatic.
- Now, click the Add button.
If more than one disk is needed, you will be prompted for additional disks.
Extracting from spanned Zip files
To extract files from a spanned Zip file, insert the last disk of the series and open the Zip file using WinZip; this will display the directory of the Zip file and allow you to extract the files. WinZip will prompt you for the disks as needed to complete the operation.