The Tools Tab
The Tools tab includes a variety of features for working with WinZip® and other files. These features allow you to create other types of files, encrypt existing Zip files, and more. If the open WinZip file is not a Zip file (for example, an LHA file), some of these tools will not function; a caution dialog will display with appropriate information. This tab is divided into the three groups described below:
File Utilities group
- Snap: (WinZip Pro and Enterprise) Use WinZip's Snap and Share feature to download and store pictures, audio, and even video from your digital still camera, and then share them with others or save them to your PC or the cloud.
- Scan: (WinZip Pro and Enterprise) Use WinZip's Scan and Share feature to scan documents, Zip the scanned documents, and then share them with others or save them to your PC or the cloud.
- PDF Files: Use WinZip PDF Express to work with the selected PDF file(s).
- Image Files: Use WinZip Image Manager to work with the selected image file(s).
Selected Files group
- New Zip From: Create a new Zip file from the files that are selected in the Files pane or the Zip pane. You will have options to encrypt, convert, and filter the files as they are added.
- Encrypt: Encrypt the selected files:
- If the Zip pane is active, WinZip will encrypt the selected files, or all files in the Zip file if nothing is selected.
- If the Files pane is active, WinZip will encrypt the selected file(s) and store them in Zip file(s) with the same base name. For example, if you encrypt 'MyFile.txt', the encrypted copy will be placed in a Zip file named 'MyFile.txt.zip'. After encryption is complete, you will have an option to delete the originals if you wish to do so.
- Convert: Reduce the size of photos or convert them to another format, remove personal data, convert to or from PDF, combine PDF files into one PDF, sign PDFs, and/or watermark files. If the conversion does not change the file type (e.g., when reducing the size of a photo), the converted file will replace the original. If the conversion creates a different file type (e.g., convert to or from PDF), the original file is unaffected. Tip: Click the settings indicator (...) next to a conversion to specify details of how the conversion will be performed.
- Split Zip File/Split Size: Create a new multi-part (split) Zip file consisting of 2 or more parts from your existing open Zip file.
- Self-Extracting EXE: Create a self-extracting Zip file from your open Zip file.
- UUEncoded File: Create a UUEncoded file from the open WinZip file.