|WinZip Pro and WinZip Enterprise feature|
Choose Job Type (WinZip Job Wizard)
This panel of the WinZip® Job Wizard allows you to specify the "Job type". The job type affects which files are included and excluded, whether file attributes are changed when the job is run, and whether an existing Zip file is replaced or updated.
Use the Job type dropdown list to choose one of five predefined job types or Custom to create your own (see below).
The predefined job types are:
- Normal zips all the selected files. If a Zip file with the name you've chosen already exists, it will be replaced. The archive attributes of the zipped files are not reset.
- Update is used to quickly update a Zip file with new and changed files. If a Zip file with the name you've specified does not already exist, this choice is identical to Normal. If, however, the Zip file does already exist, then only these files will be added:
- Files that are new, i.e., do not exist in the current Zip file.
- Files that have newer dates on disk than existing files in the Zip file.
Files that have not changed since they were last added to the Zip file are skipped.
The files' archive attributes are neither examined not reset by this operation.
- Full data backup is similar to Normal in that all selected files will be zipped and the Zip file, if it already exists, will be replaced. The difference between this job type and Normal is that the archive attributes of all files zipped are reset.
- Differential data backup is used to update a base Zip file with all selected files that are new or have changed since the Zip file was originally created. It is similar to Update except that the files' archive attributes are used rather than their dates.
The files' archive attributes are not reset by this operation. Therefore, each time you use a differential data backup, all files that have changed since the Zip file was originally created will be added to the Zip file (assuming that no other application, such as a system backup, has reset the archive attributes).
- Incremental data backup is similar to differential data backup except that the files' archive attributes are reset. Therefore, each time you perform an incremental run, only files that have changed since the last incremental run will be added.
If you choose Custom from the Job type dropdown list, you can specify your own job type by controlling all of the options individually. The options are:
- Replace existing Zip file: if this option is checked, an existing file with the name you've specified will be replaced. If it is not checked, the existing Zip file will be updated.
- Reset archive attribute bit after zipping: if this option is checked, the files' archive attributes will be reset when they are zipped. If it is not checked, the archive attributes are unaffected.
- Only compress files that have the archive attribute set: if this option is checked, files that do not have the archive attribute set will be skipped.
- Only compress files that are new or newer than the files in the archive: if this option is checked, files will be added to the Zip file only if (a) they are not already in the Zip file, or (b) the copy of the file on disk is newer than the copy currently in the Zip file. This option is not available if Replace existing Zip file is checked.