Encrypting a Zip File
Please read about encryption before using this feature.
To encrypt or re-encrypt all of the files in an open WinZip® file (.zip or .zipx):
- In the main WinZip window, select all of the files in the WinZip file (Ctrl+A is a handy keyboard shortcut).
- Click Encrypt In the Tools tab .
- In the Encrypt dialog, enter the password in the Enter password and Re-enter password (for confirmation) fields and then click OK.
Any files in the Zip file that are already encrypted must first be decrypted before they are re-encrypted using the method and password you specified. WinZip will first try to decrypt the files using the current encryption password; if a file cannot be decrypted with this password, WinZip will ask you for the correct decryption password. If you are unable to supply the correct password, the file will be skipped, and it will remain unchanged in the Zip file.
- It is more efficient to encrypt files while they are being added to the Zip file than to encrypt them after they have been added. In the WinZip ribbon interface, enable the Encrypt button in the Create/Share or Edit tab before adding files.
- You can also perform this action from the Windows File Explorer context menu. Simply right click the Zip file and choose Encrypt from the WinZip context menu.
- This feature is available only for Zip files.