The File Menu
The File menu is the leftmost tab in the WinZip® ribbon.
Note that the content of the File menu depends in part on which of the main WinZip window panes (Files pane or Zip pane) is active. The active pane is indicated by a light blue band at the top. To change the active pane, just click near the top of the pane.
When the Zip pane is active
- Zipx: Creates a new, empty Zip file (.zipx format). After the new Zip file is created, click Files and Folders in the Zip tab to add files or drag files from the Files pane.
- Zip: Creates a new, empty Zip file (.zip format). After the new Zip file is created,click Files and Folders in the Zip tab to add files or drag files from the Files pane.
- LHA: Creates a new, empty LHA file. After the new LHA file is created, click Files and Folders in the Zip tab to add files or drag files from the Files pane.
- Backup: Creates a new backup job using WinZip Secure Backup.
- PDF (from existing files): Creates a new PDF document from from existing files using WinZip PDF Express.
- WinZip File: Shows the Open Winzip File dialog, which allows you to find and open an existing WinZip file.
- From Favorites: Shows the Favorite Zip Folder dialog, which allows you to open an existing WinZip file from your favorite Zip folders.
- Backup: Opens an existing backup Zip file using WinZip Secure Backup.
- PDF: Opens an existing PDF document using WinZip PDF Express.
- Image: Opens an existing image file using WinZip Image Manager.
- Print: Prints a list of the files in the open WinZip file.
- Save: Saves the currently open WinZip file.
- Save As: Saves the currently open WinZip file to a new folder and/or saves it with a new file name. You can save to your PC, a network location, or the cloud (including FTP sites).
- Close: Closes the currently open WinZip file without closing WinZip.
- Recent/Frequent: Click one of the recently opened WinZip files in this list to open it immediately.
When the Files pane is active
When either pane is active
- Share: Share the selected files and folders with others using email, social media, instant messaging, or Windows Charms.
- Cloud Services: Use this menu item to log into and out of cloud services and to set defaults.
- Default share service: This cloud service will be used by default for sharing files that are sent as cloud links.
- Set link shortening service: Links to files in the cloud can be very long, which may cause problems in some scenarios, e.g., when pasted into an email. If you select a link shortening service, WinZip will obtain shorter versions of the links when possible.
- Services: The remainder of the Cloud Services menu consists of a list of all supported cloud services. Click a service to sign into or out of the service.
- Social Media: This menu item contains a list of supported social media providers. Click a provider to sign in or out.
- Instant Messaging: This menu item contains a list of supported instant messaging services, as well as settings for each one. Click a service to sign in or out, or the associated settings entry to manage account settings.
- Contacts: Use this to manage WinZip's contacts list.
- WinZip Settings: Shows the WinZip Settings dialog, where you can manage general WinZip options.
- Email Settings
- As attachment: When sharing files via email, ignore the maximum attachment size in the Email tab in WinZip Settings and always send as an attachment.
- Using cloud: When sharing files via email, ignore the maximum attachment size in the Email tab in WinZip Settings and always send as a link to a cloud file.
- Choose automatically: When sharing files via email, use the maximum attachment size in the Email tab in WinZip Settings.
- Settings: Opens the the Email tab in WinZip Settings, where you can set email options and set up your email accounts.
- Image Settings: Allows you to adjust the default settings for reducing photos, converting photos, and watermarking images.
- PDF Settings: Allows you to adjust the default settings for converting to and from PDF, combining multiple PDFs, signing PDFs, and watermarking PDFs.
- Exit: Closes WinZip.