Brief Tutorial - Opening WinZip Files
Click on each tutorial topic, in sequence, to learn all about WinZipÂ®:
3. Opening WinZip Files
The first step is to open a WinZip file. The steps below explain doing this using the WinZip Ribbon.
- Click the File tab on the ribbon (the tab that is to the left of the Create/Share or Unzip/Share tab).
- Click Open (from PC/Cloud).
- In the Open WinZip File window, select the file that you wish to open. This dialog works just like the Open dialog boxes in other applications, except that it also lists cloud storage providers. Just find and select the file you want to open, then click Open.
Once an existing WinZip file is open you can unzip it or work with the files it contains. The files are listed in the main WinZip window. If you want to create a new WinZip file instead of working with an existing one, see Brief Tutorial - Creating New WinZip Files.
- You can view the files in the main WinZip window as an organized list of files by folders (like Windows Explorer) or as a flattened list of all files in the archive. On the WinZip ribbon, select the Default or Classic button on the View tab. Additional view options are available as well.
- You can look at all the file names stored in the WinZip file by scrolling or by using the arrow keys on the keyboard.
- When using the Classic view or when you have chosen the Table layout with the Default view, you can quickly sort the main window by clicking once on the column heading (e.g. click on "Name" in the column heading above the list of files to sort the list by filename).