The Create/Share and Edit Tab
The Create/Share and Edit tabs provide options to create Zip files, add to Zip files, and/or share the files you have created in a number of different ways.
The Create/Share tab appears when WinZip® is working with a new, unsaved Zip file. The Edit tab appears when WinZip is working with an existing Zip file. The ribbon contents are similar for both tabs.
This menu provides options that control which files are added and how they are added.
- Click an existing filter in the upper portion to use the filter when adding files, or Default filter to add files without filtering. Please read about filters and how they are used in the Filters topic.
- Click Create/edit/remove filters to:
- Create a new Include or Exclude filter.
- Edit one of your existing custom filters or edit the Default filter.
- Remove one or more of the existing filters.
- You can also set these options on the Options tab of the Add - New Filter or Edit Filter dialog:
- Full path information: when turned ON, the full path information from the root location for every added file will be saved. When this option is turned OFF (the default), only the relative path from the topmost selected file/folder is saved. For example, if testfile.txt is located in c:\level1\level2 and you elect to save the full path information, WinZip will save the complete path \level1\level2\testfile.txt.
- Hidden/system files: when turned ON, files that are hidden or are considered to be system files by Windows will be included when adding files. When turned OFF (the default) hidden and system files will be skipped when adding files.
- Unarchived files only: When turned ON, only files that have the archive attribute set will be included when adding files. The archive attribute indicates that the file has changes and has not been backed up yet. The archive attribute can be set manually by the user or it can be set automatically by Windows when a file is modified. When turned OFF (the default), all files, regardless of the status of the archive bit, will be included when adding files.
- Reset archive bit of added files: When turned ON, WinZip will clear the archive bit on any added files that have it set to indicate that the files have been backed up. When turned OFF, no change will be made to the archive bit of any added files.
Zip type group
- .zip: Switch file type from NewZip.zipx to NewZip.zip.
- .zipx: Switch file type from NewZip.zip to NewZip.zipx.
Add to Zip group
- From PC or Cloud: Click to add files and folders from your PC, network locations, or supported cloud storage services.
- To PC or Cloud: Click to save changes you have made to the current Zip file to your local PC, a network location, or supported cloud storage services.
The controls in the Share group make it easy to share your WinZip file, or files from the cloud, with others. You can email the files or links to the files, or you can send links via social media.
- Share using Email: Click the upper half of the button to send your files via email. Click the lower half to set options:
- Click As attachment to send your files as email attachments.
- Click Using cloud to upload your files to a cloud service and send a link to the uploaded files via email.
- Click Choose automatically if you want WinZip to decide which option to use, based on the file size.
- Click Settings to open the email settings dialog, where you can set the desired size for Choose automatically.
- Share using Other: Click to choose from 3 options:
- Social Media will send links to your files via Facebook, LinkedIn, or Twitter.
- Instant Messaging will send links to your files via Twitter, Google Hangouts, Jabber, or Office 365 Groups.
- Windows Charms allows you to to choose a Windows Charm (app) to use for sharing your file, after it has been uploaded to a cloud service. These include the built-in Mail app, copying the link, Microsoft OneNote, and more.
- Expire Files: Click to toggle the Expire Files option on or off. The second option on the drop down menu allows you to set or reset the Expiration period.
- What to Share: Click to specify what you want to share.
- This Winzip file: Choose this option if you want to share the currently open WinZip file.
- File(s) from cloud: Choose this option if you want to share files from a cloud storage service. WinZip will obtain a link to each file you select and then share them via email or social media. The email options described above do not apply in this case, as only links will be shared.
WinZip Express group
The WinZip Express features allow you to perform tasks related to zipping and sharing files in fewer steps.
- Zip and Share: Click to create a new Zip, from selected files in the open Zip, that can be saved locally or to a cloud storage service, emailed, and/or shared via social media or instant messaging. Optionally apply encryption, image size reduction, conversion of documents to PDF and watermarking while zipping.
- Snap and Share: (WinZip Pro and Enterprise) Click to acquire photos and videos from camera devices attached to your PC and add them to a new or open Zip file. Optionally rotate images, apply encryption, image size reduction, and watermarking while zipping and share via email, social media and/or instant messaging.
- Scan and Share: (WinZip Pro and Enterprise) Click to scan as PNG, BMP, JPG or PDF files, documents from scanner devices attached to your PC, and add them to a new or open Zip file. Optionally apply encryption, image size reduction, and watermarking while zipping and share via email, social media and/or instant messaging.