The Zip Tab
The Zip tab provides options to create Zip files, add to Zip files, and/or share the files you have created in a number of different ways.
Select WinZip File Type group
This group allows you to select the WinZip file type (.zip/.zipx) for new Zip files and to specify the compression method (what is Zipx?).
- Zip file/Zipx file: Click one of these to choose the type for your new Zip file.
- These buttons are enabled only for new, empty Zip files.
- You can change the default option by checking or unchecking Create new Zip files using the .zipx file type in the General type in WinZip Settings.
- Zip method: Click to choose a compression method for .zip files (see Choosing a Compression Method for more information).
- .Zipx method: Click to choose a compression method for .zipx files (see Choosing a Compression Method for more information).
This menu provides options that control which files are added and how they are added.
- Click an existing filter in the upper portion to use the filter when adding files, or Default filter to add files without filtering. Please read about filters and how they are used in the Filters topic.
- Click Create/edit/remove filters to:
- Create a new Include or Exclude filter.
- Edit one of your existing custom filters or the default filter.
- Remove one or more of the existing filters.
- You can also set these options on the Options tab of the Add - New Filter or Edit Filter dialog:
- Full path information: when turned ON, the full path information from the root location for every added file will be saved. When this option is turned OFF (the default), only the relative path from the topmost selected file/folder is saved. For example, if testfile.txt is located in c:\level1\level2 and you elect to save the full path information, WinZip will save the complete path \level1\level2\testfile.txt.
- Hidden/system files: when turned ON, files that are hidden or are considered to be system files by Windows will be included when adding files. When turned OFF (the default) hidden and system files will be skipped when adding files.
- Unarchived files only: When turned ON, only files that have the archive attribute set will be included when adding files. The archive attribute indicates that the file has changes and has not been backed up yet. The archive attribute can be set manually by the user or it can be set automatically by Windows when a file is modified. When turned OFF (the default), all files, regardless of the status of the archive bit, will be included when adding files.
- Reset archive bit of added files: When turned ON, WinZip will clear the archive bit on any added files that have it set to indicate that the files have been backed up. When turned OFF, no change will be made to the archive bit of any added files.
Modify Files When Adding to Zip group
The buttons in this group allow you to encrypt or apply conversions to file as they are added to the Zip file.
- Encrypt: Click to enable or disable encryption of the files being added. WinZip will encrypt the files using the method selected in the Encryption tab of WinZip Settings.
- Image Conversions: Click to show a menu of available image conversions, then click a conversion to enable or disable it. Conversions will be performed using the settings defined by Image Settings in the File menu.
- PDF Conversions: Click to show a menu of available PDF conversions, then click a conversion to enable or disable it. Conversions will be performed using the settings defined by PDF Settings in the File menu.
Add to Zip group
- From PC or Cloud: Click to add files and folders from your PC, network locations, or supported cloud storage services.